Matt Hooper is a young oceanographer fascinated by sharks who was hired by Martin Brody; chief of the APD during the infamous Amity Incident in 1973.
Hooper crewed the vessel Orca under it's captain, Quint as part of a plan to catch and/or kill the predatory shark that had staked a claim off Amity Island.
Hooper is first mentioned after the death of Alex Kintner, during a town meeting on how to deal with the shark that killed him. He arrives not long after not knowing who Brody looks like and vice versa, but they bump into one and other and Brody offhandedly asks him for help in convincing the locals and tourists to not go in a frenzy hunting the shark. They formally introduce themselves to one another right after, with Brody enthusiastically glad he's shown up. Hooper requests to see the remains of Chrissie Watkins, a victim of a "Probable boating accident." After examining what was left of Chrissie, much to his horror, disgust and anger at the coroner for falsely claiming the cause of death; Hooper deduces that the shark that killed Alex also killed Chrissie prior.
Hooper was never seen again in the series, but was mentioned in Jaws 2 on an expedition and thus not able to help Brody out with the second shark problem.
- One of two survivors of the catastrophic boating accident during the 'First Amity Incident' wherein the fishing boat ORCA was reported missing due to a shark attack.
- Off screen, Hooper went on to be featured on a 1975 cover of National Geographic, and eventually won the America's cup in 1976.
- Spielberg has said during interviews he considered directing the sequel (JAWS2), however Universal decided not to wait for his schedule to clear. Richard Dreyfuss was then ironically working on Spielberg's Close Encounters of The Third Kind. Had Spielberg directed Jaws 2 it's likely Dreyfuss would have appeared again.
- In the novel, Hooper is killed by the shark when he is in the shark cage, however in the film, he survives.
reference made during a brief phone conversation between him and Chief Brody.
- Matt Hooper's nickname is Matt Pooper in the MAD episode, "Jaws the Great and Powerful/Old Spock's Off Their Spockers".